Last week, the fourth round of Emergency Food Hampers were assembled and delivered to over 1500 homes in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry. This was an amazing community effort with leadership from the Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area and the United Way SDG.
This round of hampers was paid for with money from the Social Services Relief Fund – the same fund used for the hampers in November. Food included rice, pasta, beans, crackers, cereal, peanut butter, cheese, yogurt, and more. Boxes were planned for both singles and for families to ensure that households of different sizes received a package of food during a time of need.
This project would not be possible without the help of many individuals, businesses and organizations who helped make this a success from planning, purchasing, packing and distribution to each recipient in the SDG region.
We would like to extend a HUGE thank you to everyone who made this round of Emergency Food Hampers possible, including:
- Social Development Council of Cornwall and Area – for their continued support in managing the logistics.
2. Regional Emergency Response Council – for ensuring their clients received the food hampers and everyone who took tht time to volunteer to help with assembly and distribution.
3. Volunteers (individuals, service clubs such as Rotary Club of Cornwall Sunrise, and other organizations outside of the RERC) – for volunteering to prep and delivery boxes during the week of March 8. There are many people who volunteered for multiple days and we’re so grateful for your time.
4. Kriska Transportation (Cornwall) – for donating the Refrigerated tractor trailer to ensure our temperature sensitive food items remained fresh during the week.
5. City of Cornwall – for letting us use the Civic Complex to have the space needed to handle the logistics of box prep and distribution along with providing a large space that allowed volunteers to socially distance.
7. FreshCo Cornwall – for donating the bags necessary for the delivery of the hampers and for assisting in locating the food for some last-minute hampers.
6. Leclerc – for donating enough granola bars and snacks for all of the hampers.