Frequently Asked Questions

// Home » About Us » Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I find information about services offered in our area?

211 Information and Referral Service

This national service connects people to community, social, health and government services through multilingual, confidential, mediated information and referral services. 211 helps to navigate the complex network of human services quickly and easily, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in over 100 languages.

Simply dial 211 on your phone or visit for more information.

Where can I find help through credit counselling?

K3C Credit Counselling

K3C Credit Counselling is a community based non-profit credit counselling service providing qualified, confidential financial advice. K3C Credit Counselling Services is available to Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry residents by calling 1-800-379-5556 or email:

How can I apply for the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)?

If you are a customer of an electricity utility and in a lower-income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill. The OESP will reduce the cost of your household electricity by applying a monthly credit directly to your bill. The credit amount will depend on how many people live in your home and your combined household income.

How to apply:

How can I apply for assistance with my electricity or gas bill?

Low-income customers may be eligible for up to $650 ($780 if you heat with electricity) in emergency assistance for your electricity or natural gas bills. Contact the following for more information or to inquire about applying for LEAP assistance:

Does United Way Centraide SDG fundraise for other charities?

We do not actively fundraise on behalf of other organizations without their prior consent but we are legally allowed to accept and disburse moneys to other charities if directed to do so by a donor.  Because of this, we do sometimes receive unsolicited donations that specify a disbursement to an agency that is not one of our member agencies.  In addition, national campaigns managed by other United Ways do allow donors to designate funds be disbursed to any local charitable organization.  When we receive funds through these national campaigns, we receive them from another United Way with directions on who to disburse the funds.

What fees does the United Way Centraide SDG take to manage donations to qualified donees?

If the United Way Centraide SDG does distribute funds to qualified donees, our financial policies outlined below are to cover costs related to credit card processing fees, banking fees, and our staff’s time to process the donation.

When UWC SDG receives funds directly with a request to disburse these funds to another organization, 5% will be collected with a minimum of $5.00 to a maximum of $50.00.

When UWC SDG receives funds through national campaigns and is asked to disburse those funds, the fee that will be collected will be 2.5% with a minimum of $5.00 to a maximum of $50.00 plus the cost of the processing fee that UWC SDG incurs from that national campaign.