Emergency Financial Assistance with utility bills
Low-income customers may be eligible for up to $500 in emergency assistance for your electricity or natural gas bills. The assistance is only available if you are behind, in arrears or may face service disconnection. It is for emergency situations only and is not meant to provide you with ongoing help to pay your bills.
In order to qualify, you must have a family income that falls below a certain limit. The amount of income it takes to qualify as low-income depends on two factors:
- How many people live in the home and
- Your combined household income
LEAP Income Eligibility Criteria
Currently we are in partnership with Cornwall Electric, Hydro One, Rideau St. Lawrence and Union Gas. Contact the following for more information or to inquire about applying for LEAP assistance:
- Cornwall Electric: 613-932-2051
- Rideau St. Lawrence: 613-932-2051
- Hydro One: 1-855-487-5327
- Union Gas: 1-855-487-5327
Documenting Your Need
After calling one of the above numbers to begin your application, you will need to meet with a representative of United Way SD&G for an interview. You will be asked to provide documentation, including:
- Current electricity or gas bill
- A disconnection notice, if you have received one
- A copy of a rental contract, lease or mortgage documents
- Proof of household income – cheque stub, employment letter, income tax return for adult members of household
- A copy of your most recent bank statement
LEAP assistance is only available in emergency cases – you cannot apply for LEAP funding within less than 365 days of previous assistance.
Ontario Electricity Support Program
If you are a customer of an electricity utility and in a lower-income home, you may qualify for a reduction on your electricity bill. The OESP will reduce the cost of your household electricity by applying a monthly credit directly to your bill. The credit amount will depend on how many people live in your home and your combined household income.
How to apply:
- Online: https://ontarioelectricitysupport.ca
- In person: call 613-932-2051 to make an appointment for assistance in applying (Information needed: Copy of electricity bill, Social Insurance Number, Date of Birth)